Becoming a Christian
Believing and following Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior.
God's Plan for Salvation
The Bible declares that God planned to save a people for Himself, even before the creation of the world (Ephesians 1:3-14). God knows who are His. God also knows those who remain in rebellion against Him. Do you know Him? Are you a friend or an enemy of God?
God's Purpose: the glory of God
God exists for the display of His glory, for His excellencies to be treasured by all.
The Bible says…
- “For the earth will be filled with the knowledge of the glory of the LORD as the waters cover the sea.” -Habakkuk 2:14
- “Now this is eternal life: that they know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.” -John 17:3
- “You shall have no other gods before me.” -Exodus 20:3
The Problem: Our Sinful Separation
Why don’t people know God or live for His glory?
God created us in His own image. Our first parents, Adam and Eve, chose to disobey God and go their own willful way. Today, we act similarly. We are sinners by nature and by choice. This results in separation from and judgment under God.
The Bible says…
- “For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” -Romans 3:23
- “For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.” -Romans 6:23
Our Attempts to Reach God
People have tried in many ways to bridge this gap between themselves and God…
The Bible says…
- “There is a way that seems right to a man, but in the end it leads to death.” -Proverbs 14:12
- “But your iniquities have separated you from your God; your sins have hidden his face from you, so that he will not hear.” -Isaiah 59:2
God's Bridge: The Cross
No bridge reaches God…except one.
Jesus Christ died on the Cross and rose from the grave. He paid the penalty for our sin and bridged the gap between God and people.
The Bible says…
- “For there is one God and one mediator between God and men, the man Jesus Christ.” -1 Timothy 2:5
- “For Christ died for sins once for all, the righteous for the unrighteous, to bring you to God.” -1 Peter 3:18
- “But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” -Romans 5:8
Our Response: Receive Christ
God has provided the only way. Each person must make a choice.
We must trust Jesus Christ as Savior and submit to Him as Lord.
The Bible says…
- “Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.” -Acts 4:12
- “Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.” -John 1:12
- “That if you confess with your mouth, ‘Jesus is LORD,’ and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.” -Romans 10:9
Where are You?
Will you surrender your life to Jesus Christ right now? Here is how you can receive Christ:
- Admit your need (I am a sinner).
- Turn from your sins (repent).
- Believe that Jesus Christ died for you on the Cross and rose from the grave, and that this is your only hope in life and death.
- Through prayer, yield totally to Jesus Christ, to come in and control your life through the Holy Spirit.
How You Might Pray
Dear Lord Jesus,
I know that I am a sinner and need Your forgiveness. I believe that You died for my sins. I want to turn from my sins. I now surrender everything to You. I want to trust and follow You as Lord and Savior.
In Jesus’ name, Amen.
God's Assurance: His Word
If you believe these truths with sincerity and faith in Jesus Christ,
The Bible says…
- Everyone who calls on the name of the LORD will be saved.” -Romans 10:13
Did you sincerely ask Jesus Christ to come into your life? Where is He right now? What has He given you?
- “For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith–and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God–not by works, so that no one can boast.” -Ephesians 2:8, 9
If you have any questions or want to share your decision we encourage you to contact anyone at the church.
Receiving Christ, we are born into God’s family through the supernatural work of the Holy Spirit who indwells in every believer. This is called regeneration, or the “new birth.” This is just the beginning of a wonderful new life in Christ. To deepen this relationship you should:
- Read your Bible everyday to know Christ better.
- Talk to God in prayer every day.
- Tell others about Christ.
- Worship, fellowship, and serve with other Christians in a church where Christ is preached.
- As Christ’s representative in a needy world, demonstrate your new life by your love and concern for others.
SOURCE: Adapted from the Billy Graham Evangelical Association, 1999
See also the Pastor Matt’s Recommended Reading List.
What you need to know... Fast!
Discover the God you can know and a place to belong.
Dress however you’d like. Jeans, ties, and flip flops are all welcome. As you feel comfortable, please join us in the singing and reading of Scripture.
Our Sunday worship service is the focal point and highlight of the week. We meet Sunday mornings at 9:25 a.m to adore the God of the Gospel through the Word preached, the receiving of the LORD’s supper (weekly), and with offerings of prayers, praise, and financial gifts. Join us as we intentionally humble ourselves before God, acknowledging His greatness.
Nursery is provided for the entire service for children 3 years of age and younger, and children’s church is available for children 4 years through-kindergarten (children’s church kids start in the corporate worship service and are dismissed about half-way into the service).
Though we broadcast a YouTube Live service each Sunday, we strongly believe the best place to grow as a Christian and to learn about Christianity is to be present and active in a local church family each Sunday; the online service is to minister to those with current health concerns for themselves and loved ones.
Biblical Instruction (A.K.A. Sunday School) for all ages begins at 11:00 AM. Parents are welcome to join their kids classes in order to get to know the teachers and see how we instruct little ones about Jesus.
Learn about Cornerstone Church’s beliefs about Jesus, the Church, theology and more can be found here.
Attending Cornerstone Church is a unique and wonderful experience. Our smaller community of around 100-150 attendees on Sunday creates an intimate, family-like atmosphere. We welcome all generations and mean it when we say we’re multi-generational. Our church members genuinely care for each other and strive to make everyone feel included. We’re conveniently located just down Blairs Ferry from Thomas Park in Marion, with a relaxed atmosphere that makes you feel at home.
New to Cornerstone? Everything to help you get ready for your first visit is right here.
When you walk through the doors of Cornerstone, you can expect to find a body of believers gathered for the purpose of making a heart connection with the Lord. Though we meet in a warehouse, we desire to continue with historic Christianity’s purpose for the gathered church:
1) To hear God’s most holy Word.
2) To set forth His most worthy praise.
You will discover that everything from the preaching, to our giving of tithes and offerings, to the music is an act of worship. You will be challenged through verse by verse Bible teaching for your everyday life. You will hear songs that reflect a blend of the rich tradition of the hymns and heartfelt praises of contemporary worship songs. Typically, we celebrate the Lord’s Supper together on the third Sunday of each month.
Other frequently asked questions:
What will my kids do?
We have child care for the entire service for infants through 3 years of age. We love having older kids join us in the sanctuary for singing and the first half of the service. Then, we have a children’s church for kids 4 years of age through kindergarten, but if you desire older kids to attend children’s church so you can focus on the sermon, feel free to send them too. At 11AM, we have classes for all ages of kids and adults.
When should I be there?
The Morning Worship service starts at 9:25 am Sunday mornings. It’s wise to arrive 5-10 minutes before start times to grab a cup of coffee and find your way to our sanctuary.
What should I wear?
Come as you are and you’ll fit right in. Dress generally ranges from t-shirts and jeans to jackets and ties; it’s up to you.
Which musical style is reflected in the service?
We have a band on stage that leads the congregation in singing a creative blend of classic hymns and contemporary worship.
How do we get there?
Cornerstone meets at 925 Blairs Ferry Road. We are located next to Metro Transmission and across the street from Q-Dogs BBQ. Take the Lyons Lane frontage road to gain access to our parking lot.
Click HERE for our online Church Calendar.
At Cornerstone, we believe giving is an act of worship, honoring God. Every contribution, regardless of amount, makes a difference in lives and furthers God’s work. We understand unique financial situations and encourage joyful giving. Your support is appreciated.
Our church also takes a monthly benevolence offering to help assist people and organizations with financial needs. If you have a financial need, please reach out to a Pastor or Deacon.
For those looking for it, our online giving area can be found here.